Monday, March 25, 2013

The Guatemala Border… we thought we were prepared!


So I have read just about every blog site that I could about the Guatemala Border and I thought that I knew what I was in for… First Exit Mexico cancel your vehicle import whatever and then get ready for the rush and wait of the Guatemala Border. 


 
We chose to cross at La Mesilla the interior border with Chiapas Mexico about an hour outside of Comitan, most people who I had read about had either crossed from Belize or Bejule De Campo or Tapacula Mexico.  We hit the border around 10 AM, well before lunch time but after the morning rush, vehicle exit paperwork was a breeze and then there was the drive through “no man’s land” to Mesilla. 
We saw the Aduana office and pulled over for the vehicle fumigation and agriculture inspection where we showed our paperwork for the doggies and waited for the tons of helpers to rush the car.  All we got was 3 people asking us if we wanted to exchange money, knowing it was a trick I said “No Gracias” and entered the office.  In the office they told me I needed to pay the $30 or so Quetzals and that they didn’t take pesos, so I timidly exited, exchanged only a few pesos and ran back into the office.  Once done the very helpful man at the counter directed me next door to the Aduana and migracion.  Hesitantly I peeked outside knowing that now was when I would be bombarded by the masses of “helpers” looking to take advantage of us gringos, but again only 1 man asking if I needed to change money.  Suspiciously I walked up to the window expecting this to be the trick, that this wasn’t really immigration, but low and behold it was.  The very helpful man behind the counter gave me some forms asked for our passports, copies of the vaccination forms for the dogs, directed me to the office where I needed to pay and in less than 30 minutes we were done.  We exchanged the rest of our pesos at a slightly lower than bank rate (1 peso for .55 quetzal instead of .60) and drove through the border. 

Once across smiling from ear to ear we hit the Pan Am and set off for Lake Atitlan and the reunion with my sister and friend. 

Immediately we noticed the difference from Mexico, the streets were much narrower, the colors seemed much brighter and the children were not only waving a few were blowing kisses!  I think we are going to really like Guatemala!

No comments:

Post a Comment